Thursday, December 21, 2006

in tokyo i am a XXL


i knew tokyo was getting to me when i read yesterday's blog post. what a cranky thing. too negative, so i trashed the post. sorry to all of you who had to read that pile of garbage.

truth is, i am horribly lonely. everyone here works all day, and i am always alone. i very seldom get invited out with people, and it's hard to meet new people with my language problems. and always squeezing through people in tiny spaces makes me a little tense as well. i love walking around and shopping, exploring, but i can only last a couple hours at a time because the crowds & tiny spaces really get to me.

i am not getting used to being a giant here. i bought a cheap pair of basic brown boots for the holiday parties coming up, and i am a XXL! i only wear a size 8 in the US, (the standard american women's size) but here, thats a double xtra large. often the large size shirts don't even fit me, and i'm not that huge! couple days ago i tried on levi pencil skinny jeans. that was a huge mistake. these sizes just can't be right! and i have no plans to diet, because i live for the food here. and everywhere. i mean, what is so wrong with having some meat on your bones? i gotta work on that one.

i explored each of the 7 floors of the tower records. whoa. that almost killed me! luckily there are listening stations everywhere, so you can sample all the stuff that's in kanji. but cds are very expensive, and this one put me back 3900 yen-33 bucks! it's j-pop-masaharu fukuyama. love that stuff. it's kind of addictive to me. and they have an entire floor of it!

i forced myself to finish xmas shopping because i know if i let it go till tomorrow-saturday-surely i will be sorry. it's crowded enough on the weekdays-weekends are just masochistic. way.

and i went back to the jamacian coffee shop and there was my little bag of blue mountain sitting there waiting for me. 2800 yen for i think 100 grams. sheesh, could it be THAT good? i never had it before. i hate to put sugar & milk in it. so i brewed a cup, careful to use very little of the "diamonds"-you know what? the columbian for 700 yen is just as good! can someone tell me WHY this blue mountain stuff is so expensive? i guess it's like wine to me. i can drink the expensive stuff, but also the box wine.

3 comments:

Lees Lamar said...

I would be a GIANT WOMAN over there at 6 feet tall.
If I ever go, I will make a point of NEVER EVER
trying anything on!

Unknown said...

this might sound weird, but the mens clothes are rather hip. besides, you sew! all you need is fabric! shoes, on the other hand, i don't know where one buys shoes if your size is over an 8.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I meant to go to your class before I left Japan (I have now permatnently moved to Australia) but arranging a cross-hemispheric move was just too much and bums! I never got to go. I had been reading about you a lot in Mindy's blogs. Oh well, you never know, now that our paths got very close, I might get to meet you one of these days anyway. I'm sorry you were so lonely, hope it's getting better. If you're interested, here's an expat hangout, although I'm not sure if it would be in your taste (all my canadian friends seem to love it): http://www.englishok.jp/shops/mapleleaf/index.php